Friday, April 2, 2010

Pretzel Barrel Baby Blanket Revisited


I received a note asking me about the pattern I used for the square for this baby blanket. I have posted my version of the square I used for this blanket. It is tagged under afghan squares. 

I also thought it might be helpful to include my strategy. I wanted to use up all my little balls of yarn and maximize usefullness while minimizing waste. So I worked up a chart for the yardage required for each round of the square. Then I could measure my little "waddies" and know which round was best suited for each one thereby reducing waste.


Using an H hook and worsted weight yarn here is what I got:

Round 1: 2 yards (12 stitches)

Round 2: 4 yards (28 stitches)

Round 3: 6 yards (44 stitches)

Round 4: 8 yards (60 stitches)

Round 5: 10 yards (76 stitches)

Round 6: 12 yards (92 stitches)

Round 7: 14 yards (108 stitches)


My target size was a 7 inch square. I don't very often need the 7th round. The yardages will vary somewhat with the thickness of the yarn. The thicker the yarn and the tighter the twist, the fewer stitches you can get from it. I hope this helps.

8 comments:

glor said...

Love your blanket. Thanks for posting the pattern location, printing this off right now and will be making one like what you have shown.

River Glorious said...

Very very nice colors. It's peaceful. Thanks for sharing your work. :)

Ambar in Puerto Rico

didi_international said...

I love this blanket, I was not able to find the pattern on that site---could could direct me again maybe? Thanks, Diane

Cozy's Corner said...

If you click on the link and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find a pattern for the Country Button Square. This is the square I used (without the button). Then I just used scrap yarn in combinations that pleased me. I hope this helps.

didi_international said...

Thanks I found it! Did you just connect the squares with a single crochet stitch? Many thanks..I just love this blanket!

Cozy's Corner said...

I whip stitch the squares together. I hold the squares flat and side by side so the joining is also flat. When they are all together I single crochet around the edge - maybe 3 or 4 rounds. I hope this helps.

didi_international said...

Thanks much!

Beeshebags said...

The pattern link isn't available anymore, did anyone happen to have an alternate link for the same pattern please?